Subject: Re: "bokeh"by Moss
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:50:45 -0400 (EDT)

  The simple meaning of all this "bokeh" is getting corrupted by misuse.
 The meaning as applied to lenses is just the characteristic of the out
 of focus area.  This is usually an after-effect of the aberations of the
glass
 or even the number of leaves in the iris.  Certain types of out of focus-
 ness lead to more emphasis on the primary object.  If everything in the
 photo was needle sharp - their would be no "bokeh".  Some photos are
 better for having all planes in focus and others have no impact at all.
  I think of it as having a spot-light on the key subject with the back-
  ground subdued.

  Marvin (bokeh) Moss

 PS - I would be happy to send anyone a good example if they email
 me privately.

<<
 At 02:48 PM 18-09-97 -0400, Alf wrote:
 [snip]
 >While the 1.4 ASPH increases the impression of sharpness by increasing the
 >unsharpness in the unsharp areas additionally (similar to the pre-war 2/50
 >Summar), which might be "deadly" on and by (unsharp) high contrast back- or
 >forgrounds, the Summicron is more softening, which still allows you to
 >recognize for- and background (opposite to a wide open Summilux pix).

 OK, now, say that 10 times very fast  ;-)