Subject: From Canon 1N to Leica R8: a report.
From: MyersPete@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 03:10:05 -0400 (EDT)

I just switched over from shooting a Canon 1N to a Leica R8. I thought it
would be helpful to report my impressions.

First, an understanding of my interests from the camera system. I am a Fine
Arts Photographer. This is my sole profession. There was a nice article on my
work in the November 96 issue of Photo District News (pp. 115-120).

I shoot landscapes.

My standard film is Fuji Reala. I use Flair Pro Color Lab in Gainesville, FL
for my film processing and 4x6 proofs on Fuji SFA-5 gloss paper. The lab use
only Fuji chemistry and needless to say, dunk and dip. Even though I live in
CA, this lab is the one I use.

I started out some ten years back shooting Nikon. But, soon thereafter fell
in love with Canon gear. In more recent years, I owned a few A2Es and then
finally, a 1N.

I have used both the Canon 28mm f1.8 and the Canon 28-70 L series zoom
extensively. Needless to say, I have used a lot of other Canon lenses, but
these are the ones that became my workhorses.

I have been looking for better optical performance in regard to local area
contrast, uniform and absolute sharpness as well a more 'three dimensional'
image.

I bought two G2s along the way and tried both the 35mm and 28mm focal
lengths. While this is a great camera, it did not work for me. In short, I
need an SLR and more sophisticated metering - matrix metering.

Often times, when I am shooting in the field, the light changes on the
subject extremely fast and is moment to moment going through great changes.
The light can be very complex. The Canon A2Es and the 1N have proven
themselves time and time again in this regard. It is a rare day that I get an
exposure from these cameras that is unusable.

I got rid of the G2s as soon as I bought them. I could see the increase in
performance I was looking for in the test shots I made with these cameras and
lenses, but I could not afford the cost in loosing matrix metering nor in
having an SLR.

When I heard of the R8, I was happy to hear that Leica had come out of the
dark ages by including a rather primitive matrix metering. But, I was unsure
if this camera body and the lenses would have much meaning to me and my work.
How could such an expensive camera system be worth it?

I talked with a lot of people on Internet that had shot Leica R series
cameras  - some that had used Leica for years and others that were new to
Leica. Some had indeed shifted over from Canon.

What I heard was all these weird praises that made no sense to me at the
time. Like - "the image is more three dimensional" - "you can see the colors
as they are!". Stuff like that. Not very helpful in practical terms!

I tried the body out in a few camera stores and was ho hum about it. I did
not like the fit of the camera in my hand as I did the Canon 1N. The camera
strap comes out under your fingers strangely on the Leica and is not well
placed. Manual film advance just seemed silly.

When I finally bought an R8 body, I felt the same. The body is simply not up
to the standards of the Canon 1N in operation. I also found that the R8 body
had a lot of white cotton glove lint in it when it arrived. I have yet to
have a Canon body show up that was not absolutely clean and perfect.

At this point, it was a pain to plunk out another (gulp!) $2K for a R28mm
f2.8 ROM lens. But, I did.

Last week, I shot the new lens and the R8 for the first time. My wife and I
dashed up to Yosemite for a shooting backdrop. While I love Yosemite, it has
never been my favorite place to shoot. But, its a nice place to spend a few
days. As a reward to some very hard work in our lives together, my wife and I
stayed at the Awahnee Hotel in the Park - certainly one of the nicest hotels
and settings anywhere. On rare occasions, its a rough life as a Fine Arts
Photographer! hee hee hee

Between pamperings at the Awahnee (eating, eating and eating!), I did get
some work done.

And.........the images look more "three dimensional"! You can "see" the color
temperature of the light! The images have unbelievable sharpness and local
area contrast. And, all the pain in the butt problems with the R8 body no
longer matter that much now that I see the prints!

So you see, the next person wanting to know what it is like to shoot a Leica
R8 and a Leica lens, rather then a Canon 1N and some great Canon optics is no
better off then I when I looked at this problem! There is just no way to
describe it.

Also, I must say that the casual observer of the 4x6 proofs between the Canon
and the Leica would not see any great, glaring difference. But, the larger
the print, the more obvious is the difference. To me, the differences are
huge. Its a matter of detail in all facets - the contrast allows you to see
detail deep into the shadows. The images are sharp, sharp and sharp. And it
all adds up to a very natural looking image with great depth and very three
dimensional. You can feel a difference rather then just see it.

I still think that the R8 body rates a rating of four to the Canon's rating
of five. The 1N body is a work of art and is just amazing. It makes the R8
look like a first draft. But, the Leica shutter does go off with a very
damped sound in comparison to the 1N. So, while it just is not what I am use
to, there are things about it that make for better picture making.

For action shots, the Canon really shines.

For Fine Art Photography, I rather think I will be shooting Leica.

I have more testing to do. Nevada is a week away and I will be putting the
Leica through its true paces in the difficult environments that I shoot. Its
going to be fun to see if I miss the Canon or find that even with its faults,
the image quality of the Leica prevails and steals my heart once and for all.
Perhaps I am falling in love.......

Pete Myers