Subject: Re: Canon f:0.95/ info source
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:24:58 -0400 (EDT)

 Stephan -

  Nothing to bite on - this unclassified info has been around as a
rumor for some time now (why don't you ask Peter) but was con-
firmed Sunday at Bagnall's by our mutual acquaintance Dr..........
whose optical & laser company supplies material to our Armed
Forces as well as Japanese & German medical & military needs.

Who is to question why the CIA does anything; openly or covert.
I have no idea if the reason of choice for Canon was quality, price,
politics or some other characteristic.  Kelly didn't actually say CIA
but paraphrased his Japanese in pigeon English for my benefit as
American Govt. Surveilance Agency.  I dont see why this should
surprise you; the Canadian Govt. has used Leica Cameras with
their own military markings (KE) & US has had the M2-R under
the M2-S name.

Marvin

<<
 Leikon35@aol.com wrote:

 >    Speaking of the under rated Canon lense's - how many of you
 > know that the Canon 50mm / f:0.95 lens is still made today & is
 > used by the CIA in preference to the Leica Noctilux?  More info
 > will follow if there is any interest in this unadvertised fact, along
 > with info about Canon using ASPH (L).

  OK Marvin, I'll bite, especially since I just picked up three .95's,
 tell us all about it, including your source of info.

 Is the .95 preferred by the CIA because of cost/features?  Because its
 not as sharp as a Noctilux, is it  easier for our Men in Black to doctor
 the images digitally and so come up with anything they wish in their
 surveillance photos?

 Stephen Gandy