Subject: Re: R8 Focusing Screen Options?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 10:31:10 -0500

At 05:55 AM 10/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Yep. Only case to be made for the "split garbage" is perhaps as an aide
>in focusing wide angle lenses. I kinda like the grain in the finder. It

Considering that SLRs need all the help they can get focusing wide angles
(especially the 35 Summilux R) they are not garbage at all, but a necessary
tool for those who find them useful. Dedicating a body to wide angle and
one to telephoto with appropriate screens can be quite helpful.

And a bright screen with no "contrast" which might be perceived as grain,
is more difficult to focus than a less bright viewfinder with contrast. So
the R8 probably needs some "teeth" in the focusing screen to give it the
ability to not only be bright, but accurate.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

I disagree with unanimity.