Subject: Re: V35 Enlarger
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:11:38 +0100

Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net> writes:

     > At 06:04 PM 10/7/97 +0100, you wrote:
    >> I also have a question. Is it, in case you use multigrade
    >> black-and-white papers more often than colourpaper, worthwhile to buy
    >> the VARIOCONTRAST module if you already have the colour module?

     > Alexander,

     > Yes, it is very much worth it. I've done vario contrast black and white
     > paper with the color head and I owned a V35 with the vario contrast
     > module.  The latter way is much superior for speed and ease of use. The
     > single dial lets you go from 0 to 5 in one smooth motion. With the
     > color head, you have three dials to mess with.

     > And the vario contrast module seems to have the filters set for Ilford
     > and Oriental variable contrast paper. With Kodak, there is more of an
     > exposure time change as you change contrast.

     > ============= Eric Welch St. Joseph, MO

I was in the same situation: had a colour module and used it for b&w
multigrade only. The slightest change in gradation resulted in a change in
exposure time. Of course, you get used to it, but for me it was almost every
time another test print - at least for final prints, where I don't accept less
than the best I can get.
I expect better results from the variocontrast head.

I couldn't even rely on my exposure meter, since adding yellow increased the
exposure time without showing it on the meter.

My recommendation: If you don't _need_ the colour head start with the
variocontrast.

christoph