Subject: Re: Agfachrome
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 06:48:12 -0800

Gary Toop wrote:
>         How have LUGgers found the new Agfachrome? How does the grain
> compare?  The dye stability?  I am thinking of popping some in my M-3 and
> firing away at the fall colours.

Gary,
A while back I did a magazine project where the pix were similar but
would be running indifferent issues, so decided to try various films.
Was of boats on water.  The end result was Velvia, E100s and then Agfa.
I am sure the Agfa would reproduce okay, but colors, especially the
blues were mostly grey.  The E100 would be a nice compromise, perhaps
the SW better, closer to Velvia, but wonderful grain and rich color.  I
was really expecting to like the Agfa better than I did.  Did similar
test on another project with Velvia versus new Astia and the Astia just
looks dull by comparison.  Really flat.  Again, probably good for
reproduction (given printing press reduced contrast range), but nothing
like Velvia on the light table.

Donal Philby
Kauai, Hawaii