Subject: Re: Pretenders to the Throne
From: "shawnl@earthlink.net" <shawnl@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:07:23 +0000

Roger Beamon wrote:

>No Shawn. The Leica R8 and all other Rs are the only platform for the R
>glass. That, sir, is what makes them Leicas.

I can buy a thread mount Leica lens and put it in on vintage Canon
rangefinder, but the Canon is still a Canon.  If I were a talented
machinist, I could adapt R glass to another camera.  Glass is a secondary
issue.

You are missing the distinction between Leica as a brand and Leica as an
experience.  The M camera is certainly a Leica experience in that it
epitomizes the rangefinder camera in that it is the best a rangefinder
camera has ever been.  Accordingly, one might make the argument that,
while the R cameras have deserved following, many admit that the R is not
the definitive SLR experience to the exclusion of all other cameras of
its kind.