Subject: Re: Pretenders to the Throne
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:41:15 +0000

>Glass is a secondary
>issue.

I kinda disagree with this statement.  Glass is what "makes" the image
and is the most import issue in the camera system as a whole.

Yes the EOS 1 is a great camera, I ought to know I have used one
professionally for the past 5 years, but I am in the process of switching
from the EOS to Leica M & R both BECAUSE OF THE GLASS.  The leica optics
are IMO superior to other brands.  The Canon is nice, Nikon nice, but
when looking at the slides side by side the Canon slides block up in the
dark areas very badly and have a "plasticy" look to them.  I also tested
Nikon side by side with Leica several years ago and the Nikon also had
the same contrast issues.  On top of this the Leica lenses are built FAR
more ruggedly than the other brands.  Canon and Nikon both now use a lot
of plastic in their lenses and bodies construction.  Maybe I am old
fashioned, but I prefer metal construction.

If you are simply saying the R whatever are not Leica's because they are
not rangefinders, well I find that just a little silly.

I buy Leica for the IMAGE quality, which the R is second to none in the
SLR field, as the M is second to none in the rangefinder field.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto