Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:48:54 -0600

At 10:44 PM, you wrote:

>Perhaps true, but what Ted and Donal were getting at was that art=20
>directors often request MF when in many instances 35 actually works=20
>better.=A0 When the finished product is running 1/2 to 1/4 of a magazine=20

The old Darkroom Photography magazine did an article on architectural
photography with 35mm cameras. Fred Maroon, a long-time Leica R and M user
offered his stories over why 35mm is better for architecture than larger
formats. Not only did National Geographic pic his 35mm pictures over his
larger format pictures because they were technically better but because the
depth of field was much deeper with 35mm, the ability to use available
light, and using ultra-wide and ultra-long lenses have no alternative in
the larger formats.

So it is the job that counts, as well as the absolute image quality one
might be shooting for. Sometimes it just can't be done in the larger
formats. Although the argument here presupposes we're talking about the
Leica R system being more flexible for this kind of subject.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch