Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 19:29:13 -0700

On 27 Oct 97,  ted grant wrote:

<snip>

> I some times wonder what is taught in the "designer schools" when art
> directors graduate with the idea that , "big is better."
>
> The bottom line still comes down to the photographer and the quality
> of his or her work and handling of the equipment.

Geez, I hate like hell to do this cause it'll likely start a format
flame war, but I just can't resist stating the obvious.

If the shoot doesn't favor one format vs. another, such as street
action, expansive scenics where set up time is assumed and the wait for
the right light is inevitable, etc. the simple fact is that bigger *is*
better!

Take the photographer, as a variable, out of the equation. Put the same
photographer behind the formats for the shoot, assume equal skill of
that photographer with the various formats, the best optics available
for the various formats, equal films etc., and, the results will favor
the larger formats every time!

Oh my God, I invoked an absolute. Shields up...Go for it!
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only
   truth, but supreme beauty--a beauty cold and austere,
   like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of
   our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of
   painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of
   a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show.

           -- Bertrand Russell