Subject: Re: Leica R questions
From: MSwiek@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:40:20 -0500 (EST)

I agree totally with Ted.   I have been shooting my kids' soccer games for 7
years now and after many trials (and errors) have settled on the 400 f6.8 as
my prime lens, although it shares duty with the 560 f6.8.  The 400, in
particular is easily hand-held with the shoulder grip at the shutter speeds
you will be using for soccer (minimum 1/500 and preferably 1/1000 or 1/2000).
 The 400 is also available at a reasonable price ($650-850) in decent shape.
 Shooting angles are best from the sidelines at about the 18 yard line
looking up the sideline or diagonally up the field, or from the end line,
about 10 yards in from the side.  The sliding focus of the 400 and 560 are
very quick and surprisingly accuarate.  The f6.8 maximum aperture has not
been a problem even on dark overcast days when I switch from Kodak Pro-400 to
Kodak Pro-1000.

For cameras I have been most pleased with the Leicaflex SL.  I find the
focusing screen particualrly well-suited to these longer lenses, and even a
bit brighter and smoother than the screen in the R-4SP and the R-6.  The SL's
are solid, reliable, and again, available at a reasonable price ($450-550) in
decent shape.  For metering, I use an incident meter.

Hope this helps.

                                                         Mike Swiek