Subject: Re: Master Adams versus frauds?
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:00:04 -0700

On 30 Oct 97,  Vondauster wrote:

<snip>

> Patience is a virtue with artists. Tastes change, and those artists
> who are ahead of their time are sometimes hard for us today to
> distinguish from frauds and talentless parasites. I, for one, will
> take the risk.

While I for one, won't!

Private patronage is fine, but to ask the citizenry to support, through
taxes, the subjective judgment of an elite small group, as to what is
worthy of support, is not fine. Precedent does not make it correct.
Though recognized by the law, precedent is, in many matters, constantly
and rightly being over thrown.

I am not able to equate art with the necessary functions of government,
such as providing for the national defense, road building etc. To make
this equation, is to allow government total domination of our lives. I
cherish my right to not appreciate art as much as my right to a
religion of my choosing or to no religion at all.

Time in the marketplace will determine what art succeeds and persists.
This judgment takes time and will appear as cockeyed to many, but it is
the judgment of the people and is all that matters.

- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Thought for the day:
      A preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with.