Subject: Re: I need help De Meterizing myself!!!
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 01:55:40 -0500

Gabe Sachs wrote:

> Hello there.  Everyone has been so helpful here,  so now help me solve
> something.  I love my M6 and I love my IIIF.  Does anyone have a
> shortcut or a simple formula to calculate exposure without depending on
> a meter.  I want to just take my IIIF and shoot without a meter.  Are
> there any home made guidelines that anyone out there uses or should I
> just get out there and shoot a bunch of rolls and guesstimate all the
> way.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Gabe

Look inside a box of film. They used to have exposure recommendations
for most lighting situations. The easiest to remember is the "Sunny 16"
rule: You take the reciprocal of the film speed (ISO 100 would be 1/100
or approx. 1/125 sec.) at f 16 in sunny lighting. ISO 64 would yield
1/60 sec. and so on. From there you go to f 11 for diffused sunlight.
Open the lens even more for cloudy, etc. You can also practice looking
at scenes and guessing their exposure and then checking it with a meter
to help train your eye and mind. I had heard or read that Henri
Cartier-Bresson calculated all his exposures in his head. Good luck.

Carl S.