Subject: Re: Exhibitions & Activites at Leica Gallery, NYC
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 23:32:35 -0500

LeicaPhoto@aol.com wrote:

> The current exhibition In the main gallery area is Larry Towell's (Magnum
> Photos) FAMILY ALBUM and Larry Towell's MENNONITES in the Oskar Barnack Room
> of the gallery. We are also exhibiting two original LEICA posters. One is a
> French poster from Leica in 1935 in color advertising a photo contest and the
> other is the original of the often reproduced "Das Kleine Photo-Wunder". The
> original is from 1928-1929 and much larger than the copy. Rarely do we see
> Leica original posters. They are available for anyone to see. Also, we have
> new pamplets, etc.
> Gallery hours: Tues-Friday 11 to 6 P.M. EST and Sat 12noon to 6 P.M. EST Our
> address: 670 Broadway, suite 500, NYC 10012 / tel (212)777-3051/
> fax(212)777-6960 - admission alway free! / Rose and Jay Deutsch (on-site
> curators)

LUG,

I saw this exhibit last weekend while in New York. For anyone who uses
these machines it is really worth seeing. Larry Towell can make them
sing. The Family Album photos are not only wonderful in their imagery
but they reminded me that (as Dorothy discovered) there's no place like
home. Warm, intimate, close, involved. You really become a part of their
life. And, as always, it's a joy to see how the images enlarge so well.

The Mennonite series was equally rewarding. I had seen one of the photos
in the exhibit on the cover of the book "Magnum Landscapes", a group of
mennonites schoolgirls struggling against a dusty windstorm, and it was
even more rewarding to see it printed large on nice paper. These images
really brought home what a wonderful machine a Leica can be for
recording people and telling about lives. They truly are people machines
and Mr. Towell's sensibilities and vision help them realize their
fullest possibilities.

Carl Socolow

p.s. Thanks Jay and Rose. A pleasure meeting you both. Now if you could
only get Robert Frank to autograph my copy of The Americans I would be
really happy.