Subject: Really Late Roll call
From: "Lee Yan Zhan" <yzlee@cyberway.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 17:36:28 +0800

Yan Zhan Lee
Singapore
30 years old

Graduated from Victoria University of Wellington, NZ.  Chartered Accountant
and CISA by profession.  I work in Consumer Business, Citibank, for the last
6 years, travelling 70% of the time(good for Leica photography).
Previously, I was in NY for 1 and half years doing research for Morgan
before coming back to Singapore, KPMG Peat Marwick, 2 years.

My interest in photography started out at 10 years old with an old Olympus
Rangefinder(can't remember the model).  In those days, my camera was used to
take picture of subjects that I like to paint.  Must admit that I don't care
much about photo quality because getting prints was quite a "hassle.  At 12,
my uncle gave me a new M2, black M4 and 50 DR lens he purchases from his
first business trip to the "West".   To him, the cameras were mechanical and
in his words "may be discontinued and will have antique value".  I look at
it for 2 seconds and put these "ugly & out-dated" cameras in the closet for
another 6 years while I "advance" to Nikon cameras like him.  My uncle was
one of those guys who love all kinds of electronic toys.  It works out this
way.  I recommends, he buys and use like 1 roll, and I end up using it all
the time.(in exchange for washing his cars).

I went thru all the old Nikon F, FA, F2AS, EM, F3, F3HP until I saw a bunch
of slides from a college German friend who took them with Leica.  I was
still not convinced.  I thought it was the better technique and films he
has.  Then a year later, I met my best Japanese friend, Takai-san, who uses
IIIf and IIIg.  It took a Janpanese to convince me that Leica is superior.
This was very ironic because I was then very convince that the Nikon and
Canons were the future.

I went back to the closet, took out the Leicas, fired a roll using the F3's
meter....and the rest is history.  I sold all my Nikon except the F2AS and
35mm lens, and never regretted.

My focus are mainly on travel, people and documentary..heavily influence by
all legendary Leica photographers.  Currently, I am using :

2 x M6
2 x M4
M2
35/1,4 ASPH
35/2 ASPH
50 DR
50/2
75/1.4
90/2.8

I am seriously considering :

M3
21/3.4 or 21 ASPH
24 ASPH
HP Photosmart system

Other equipment :

Nikon 28Ti
Contax TVR, Txi

I shoot mostly with colours(GPX, EGP), B&W(ILFORD Delta 100, HP5, XP2, Kodak
T400CN) & transparency(Kodachrome 64, Ekta 200).

Most of my photographs are in my office gallery(in my room).  Although my
colleages recognises the superior quality of Leica photos and do frequently
order prints from me for free, they still feel that using one is a hassle.
My secretary even goes as far to say that my cameras are old and fragile.
They can't imagine me using a camera older than myself.

I must say its an uphill battle here getting people interested in Leica.  I
know probably 6 users who takes it seriously.  The rest are like my uncle
who is now buying up every limited edition model knowing that the prices
will appreciate.  (This is the same groups who buys limited edition watches
and fountain pens).  Fortunately for me, my uncle has forgetten that he has
given me M2 & M4 in the 70s.

I found the LUG family late last year and its now my home for Leica
Photography.  Nobody understand me like you Luggers..the feeling is probably
mutual.  Through the list, I have also met many new friends and improve my
perspective.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lee