Subject: Re: Re: Re: Need Screw Mount Manual
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 00:33:29 -0600

At 12:12 AM 11/14/97 +0000, you wrote:
>On 14 Nov 97 at 13:28, LeicaPhoto@aol.com wrote:

>Tamarkin's operation is just down the hall. One can see Leica
>equipment as well as what it can produce (tho I must admit to a bit
>of puzzlement over how a piece obviously taken with a medium format
>camera appeared in the recently closed Jacques Lowe exhibit there).

I just read an editorial in a Leica Photography recently, and found a very
refreshing comment (VERY loosely paraphrased) about how Leica, in giving
out awards, like the Oskar Barnack Medal for photojournalism,  tends to not
emphasize the fact that the work is made by Leicas. That they want to honor
photography for what it is, and the power it has.

So I'm sure the people hanging the work don't care if it's made by MF, it's
made by a Leica photographer. And that's what counts. Sure it promotes
Leica. They'd be dumb not to let that happen, but being a bit more subtle
than their competitors is something I appreciate.

Totally unlike Canon and Kodak that insist that their names be actually
incorporated into their prizes. The Kodak Crystal Eagle, and the Canon
Photo Essay. Leica's marketing is a lot more subtle, and I like it.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I disagree with unanimity.