Subject: Re: Airport Security?
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 97 16:19:19 +0200

Tina & Ted, thanks for the input!

I use these soft lead bags, too. Can stuff some 30 rolls in plastic
cans in one and even more if I drop the canisters. Latter is a bit
of a risk in dusty areas though. I agree with Ted that it is
questionable whether these protect against all airport machines.
They might but I think that the other benefit that they protect
against atmospheric fogging on long flights is more significant.

But the other thing I was asking about is different from these
bags. The little thing that I think Hama makes. It is about the size
of a cigarette box. Hard plastic heavily lined leadbox for four
35mm cartridges. I recall they claim it protects at least upto 3200
ASA against any standard airport machine. But I don't know if this
is really true and as said they weight a lot (for the size). Saw
them in Zuerich last summer. Anyone using them?

Ted wrote about leadbags:
>Personally I don't have much faith in them and have any on board
>film carried, out of cannisters,  and in clear freezer bags which
>can be quickly pulled from equipmnt bag. Then just shove the camera
>bag into the machine. So far this has worked every time.

>There isn't any reason for a hand check of the bag if you don't
have >any film in it.

I don't understand something. What do you do with the clear bag
with the film inside when they ask you to walk through the detector?

Regards,

Kari