Subject: Re: Speaking of the 80mm f/1.4 Summilux-R ...
From: jay coleman <jcoleman@interport.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 22:40:26 -0500

David:

The age of the lens can be told from the serial number, but I can only
tell you that the lower the number, the older the lens.  As far as I
know there have been no optical (or any other) changes to the 80/1.4.
My lens is an older one like the one you describe.  It is fine, as Tom
Donovan will attest.  So, I would not pay a premium for a later
example.  In fact, the coveted "Leitz Wetzlar" engraving may actually
make it more valuable. ;)  The price your dealer offered sounds good, I
would buy the lens.

Jay Coleman