Subject: Re: 135/1:2.8 R
From: Jack & Christine Hamilton <jackham@earth.execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:02:35 -0600

Michiel Fokkema wrote:

> Dear LUG,
>
> I noticed that the 135/1:2.8 R is quite an affordable lens.
> Is this becasue this lens is not up to leica standards anymore, or
> just because it is an impopular design?
> The first design looks very much like the 135/1:2.8 M, but was
> already recalculated after four years while the M-lens was not
> recalculated.
> Has anybody any experiences with those three lenses? How do they
> compare in quality?
>
>                Greetings,
>
>                               Michiel.

The only problem that the lens has: it is not as "popular" or "as
sought-after" as some of th other Leica medium telephotos. I've used one
on an R-5 with a lot of Kodachrome 25...the results ranged from "merely
excellent" to "supurb!" ...not too shabby...

The last one I saw here in Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago was $400 for
excellent, almost mint condition. It's a first-class lens...just not all
that popular...and so the used-market price for it is reasonable...at
least until more people discover what a "sleeper" the lens is...

Cordially,
Jack Hamilton
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA