Subject: Re: used M2
From: Colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:33:55 -0600

Jim Brick wrote:

> Could I please get advice on a used M2. I got a phone call from an
> acquaintance (he's not a Leica photographer) which said "I have an M2 for
> sale, no dents, a few rub marks, leather (or vulcanite... what ever it is))
> cracked on one corner, rangefinder bright and clear, but he said there is a
> dimple on the film pressure plate (I'm assuming he knows where that is).
>
> He wants $640.
>
> And what is the pressure plate on an M2 supposed to look like?
>
> I'm going to go look at it next week, check-out the shutter, etc. But
> instead of him holding it for a week and then me saying no, I wanted to get
> yall's expert opinion beforehand, incase there is something gross I'm
> overlooking.
>
> I expect to pay for CLA, but would the cost of a new pressure plate (if
> it's bad) put the total cost above a reasonable price for an M2?
>
> I hope this made sense...
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Jim

Jim,

I've got 4 M2's at the moment, 2 button and 2 lever rewind models.  All
of them have flat pressure plates.  They don't look like they'd dent too
easily.  I would guess that this fellow is refering to the back door of
the camera that the pressure plate is attached to.  That is an easier
spot to get a dimple.  I don't know how much a new pressure plate would
be.

If this deal doesn't work out, I've got a user M2 (no CLA required) that
I'm looking to sell. ; )

Hope this helps,

Colin