Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax G1 and Leica (off-topic?)
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 09:10:52 -0800

Bill,

I purchased an entire G1 kit a year ago that included:  G1, 28/2.8, 45/2,
90/2.8 and the TLA 140 flash.  It was a time for me when I wanted more
automation than Leica could provide with the M6.

After a year of using this system, I concluded the autofocusing was too
slow for me.  I found myself losing too many images waiting for the system
for focus.  Yes you can have it prefocus but that was not a change in my
technique I was willing to make.  The optics were very good.  The
viewfinder opening was a bit small so you had to use care in aligning your
eye with it.  In the end, I wished Contax had come out with a system that
would permit manual focusing with the ease of an M6.  Finally figuring out
that the G1 was not a modern M6 with autofocus, I traded the equipment in
for another M6 body.  In reviewing the G2, I found it focussed much faster.
 Had Contax come out with the G2 first, I may have held onto the equipment.
 Too bad really.

I recently made a trip to Disney World with the family for a week's
vacation.  I took my Contax T2 and TVS.  I found I used the T2 with fill in
flash all the time.  Images were sharp, contrasty and spontaneous.  TVS
also makes images but you have to fiddle with the zoom lens.

Sometimes less is better - at least for me.  Richard Gere recently
published a photo book called Pilgrim.  It documents the difficulties of
the Tibetan people due to the Chinese occupation of their country.  He
supposedly used only the Contax T2 for the images.  Interesting work.

Richard
Rchard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA