Subject: [Leica] CL/Lens Questions -- Comments to Edmund Tan Ann-Wen
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 00:22:38 -0500

Re: Leica CL Questions -- Comments to Edmund Tan Ann-Wen

Edmund, I have used a Leica CL for a number of years with a Summicron-M
f2/35 as my principal lens with lens hood 12504.  For framing purposes,
you use the outside edge of the viewfinder.  I have also used my
Elmarit-M f2.8/28 with a Leitz 28 mm viewfinder in the hot shoe for
framing.  However, as early Elmarit-M f2.8/28 lens have a rear mount
that protrude too far into the CL body, you should not use a lens of
that type with a serial number below 2314921 (the CL originally came
with a small flyer or leaflet with that information).  The same small
leaflet states that the 90mm Summicron should not be used on the CL.

In a 90 mm lens, the lens of choice for many CL users is a
Tele-Elmarit-M f2.8/90 lens, if you do not care to have the f4.0/90
Elmar-C.  I routinely use the Tele-Elmarit 90mm on my CL with excellent
results.  As for the body, there are some who say the CLE is the most
advanced camera body in the M lineage.  Others will have to report and
offer their opinion on that point, as I have no experience with the CLE.

Bill Caldwell