Subject: Re: [Leica] Faas, Horst, and Betrayal
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:57:42 -0500

Dan wrote:

<<<I was really amazed at how some of these guys were able to get so
immersed in taking pictures that they seemed to forget all about their own
safety. It's certainly more concentration and dedication than I am willing
to admit>>>>>>

Hi Dan,

You just get so wound - up about what is happening and the images that are
flying about, that taking pictures (I was going to say shooting pictures)
is all you think about.

To some degree there is a kind of "the camera makes me invisible" attitude
much to the detriment of those who didn't come back and were injured.
Mentally and physically!:(

'67 & '68 were enough for me and I've never gone back, even though I have
been offered opportunities and have no desire to, no matter how "exciting
and heart thumping it was at times!" Not to mention the times of believing
I am going to die right here!

Now I try to discourage young guys and gals from going, simply because
photographers aren't invisible and we bleed like anyone else if we're hit.
But my discouragements fall on deaf ears! Rarely working, simply because if
someone tried to discourage me in 1967 not to go to Isreal
(a good one, 6 days, it started on Monday and was over by Saturday)
particularly if that is your first war. Unfortunately it didn't teach me
enough about the dangers, even though I had two friends killed.

But the concentration during action of taking pictures completely overrides
any thoughts of safety for ones self.....until sometimes it's too late!

ted