Subject: Re: [Leica] WA infinity performance
From: Tom Kline <tkline@grizzly.pwssc.gen.ak.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:32:35 -0900

Hi Alf:
Thank you for your good suggestions:

>First, I'd suggest, that you try the asph 2/35 M Summicron (I haven't).
>The M Summicrons have always been better than the M Summiluxes, in my=20
>mind :), and it's possible to me, that the current M saph Summicron=20
>gets the cake again (can you say it in English?).=20

Takes the cake  - you were very close, is there a German equivalent?

>Third, taking pix from stars is different, than usual picture taking,
>since the objects are bright, small, and the background is dark blue
>to very dark blue. In that situation even the Hasselbald's Planar=20
>2.8/80 shows very sharp images at f 2.8 (I have some nice Hale Bobs),
I have this lens - really too slow and too narrow an angle of view for what=
 I want.

So, maybe the=20
>1.4 asph M Summilux might show pretty good results also, which are=20
>- at least - far mor sharp than from your Nikkor lens.
You guys are talking me into it!

>Fourth, if I'd look for a wide angle's performance at infinity, I'd take
>my most favored 50 mm (because I know it's performance, and because it's=20
>not too far from the 35 mm), and take some shots of far houses, trees,=20
>etc - objects, which consist themselves of comparable small objects=20
>(stones, window frames, leaves, small branches). Next, I'd take some=20
>shots with the lens in question, and judge from the slide comparison=20
>(64 or 100 ASA) next day. =20

I have used  a C (FD) 50 1.4 alongside the N 35 1.4 and found less coma with=
 the 50

>Hope, it helps.
>Alf
>
>PS I've never found any coma in my 1.4/35 asph Summilux.
The clincher!
Thank you
Tom