Subject: Re: [Leica] Infinity focus tip
From: Tom Kline <tkline@grizzly.pwssc.gen.ak.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:25:37 -0900

>It never actually reaches 0, but mathematically speaking you would say that
>the  limit of y as x approaches infinity is 0.
>    =20
>     Thus, it is possible to be focused on "infinity" even though there is=
=20
>     no number that actually represents this distance. --Marc Turner
>Marc,
>
>The next inevitable question is: When a lens is focused to the infinity
>symbol, what distance is it really mechanically focused on? An actual lens
>isn't a formula. It must be focused to a particular point in space.=20

Bob:
I believe this statement is based upon a  false premise. There is a specific=
 distance measured between a lens and the focal plane (focal length) where=
 the lens is focused at infinity; when the lens is racked out beyond this=
 point it is focused at a finite point, when the lens is racked closer it is=
 not focused on anything (ie set beyond inf.). Becuase soem lens materials=
 are sensitive to temperture change, the true infinity setting will vary,=
 hence some lenses focus "past" inf.

Ths may not seem intuitive but mathematically there are some wierd things. I=
 recall in Calculus class that we were able to integrate between two=
 infinite lines and able to come up with a finite area - this was a long=
 time ago for me - back in the early 70s.

Hope this helps
Tom

That is