Subject: [Leica] Re: P&S Recommendation
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:01:51 -0000

Jeff Moore wrote:
> I continue to think that the T2 remains the most physically appealing
package
> among the point-and-shoots, even after Nikon, Leica and Minolta have taken
> their best shots at the market Kyocera created with the T2... BUT, in
addition
> to a few minor nits, the T2 has one possibly-fatal flaw which constitutes
the
> reason I hardly use mine anymore:  the T2, in common with all the "cheap"
> point-and-shoots of which I'm aware, locks focus electronically with a
> half-press of the shutter button but doesn't physically drive the lens into
> position until you commit to taking the picture.  This introduces a small
but
> completely infuriating delay which allows the world to change out from under
> you while the camera's trying to get around to taking the picture.

This is something I find very annoying about this type of camera too.  I
used
a Yashica T4 for a while and the lens is indeed quite good, but the
delay between
pressing the shutter and the camera getting round to taking the shot
after moving
the lens into position was a killer for me.

The one P&S in this price range I tried and liked was the Leica Mini 3
which
moves the lens into position on first pressure of the shutter release,
so the
delay in taking the shot is much shorter.  For some unknown reason I
ended
up buying the Olympus Mju-II (Stylus Epic in the US I think) which is
not as
good, but felt a lot more robust than the Leica Mini 3.

Simon.

Ionica, Cowley Road, Cambridge CB4 4AS
Tel (01223) 223000
Fax (01223) 223100