Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: P&S Recommendation
From: pwalsen@bellboyd.com
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:01:49 -0600

simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk wrote:
>Jeff Moore wrote:
>> I continue to think that the T2 remains the most physically appealing
>>package
>> among the point-and-shoots, even after Nikon, Leica and Minolta have
taken
> >their best shots at the market Kyocera created with the T2... BUT, in
>>addition
> >to a few minor nits, the T2 has one possibly-fatal flaw which constitutes
>>the
>> reason I hardly use mine anymore:  the T2, in common with all the "cheap"

>> point-and-shoots of which I'm aware, locks focus electronically with a
> >half-press of the shutter button but doesn't physically drive the lens
into
> >position until you commit to taking the picture.  This introduces a small
>>but
> >completely infuriating delay which allows the world to change out from
under
>> you while the camera's trying to get around to taking the picture.

>This is something I find very annoying about this type of camera too.  I
>used
>a Yashica T4 for a while and the lens is indeed quite good, but the
>delay between
>pressing the shutter and the camera getting round to taking the shot
>after moving
>the lens into position was a killer for me.

I experienced the same problem with the Nikon 35Ti I borrowed recently.
The problem is especially frustrating in light of the "mission" for which
cameras of this type are designed.  If I want to do serious
work, I will use my "first string" equipment.  I save P&S cameras for
impromptu people snaps.  For the "moment" to pass while the camera
selects focus is intolerable given the price of these titanium marvels.

Aside from this problem, I found the 35Ti to be a pleasing package.  The
lens was sharp and I liked the camera's retro styling.

Paul Walsen