Subject: Re: [Leica] Infinity focus (Brooks)
From: GCodispoti <GCodispoti@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:33:57 EST

Thank you Jim for revealing what we Brookies consider infinity and how we
treat infinity focus "a la Brooks".
Joseph Codispoti
Class of 72

<< After reading some of the WA voodoo stuff, it dawned on me that I learned
 something at Brooks that I involuntarily do. I never ever focus a lens at
 infinity. I was taught, at Brooks, that there is no such thing as infinity.
 And, of course, there isn't. If you think about it, infinity is not one
 mile, not 100 miles, not a million miles, it's forever away from you.
 Otherwise it wouldn't be infinity. Now we all know that focus extends 1/3
 in front of and 2/3 behind the subject. So if your lens is set at infinity,
 your focus is 1/3 in front of infinity and 2/3 behind infinity. Not very
 logical. So I was taught to ALWAYS, when focusing on far away subjects
 (distant landscapes, etc.) take the lens to the infinity stop, then
 back-off a little. This puts a lens' depth of field into a real world (as
 opposed to imaginary world) perspective.

 Some lenses, especially when using extenders, focus past (yes past)
 infinity. That's a real oxymoron. Past infinity. Only Steven Hawking knows
 about this. Anyway, this is usually with very long lenses where you can
 actually focus on that distant mountain, or the moon. In this case, you can
 focus where you want so that your depth of field will take care of what you
 want it to take care of (it's late.)

 Jim