Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon F/F2 vs Leicaflex SL/SL2
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:29:31 +0000

Thib wrote:
>I've heard that many Leica M users were taking Nikon Fs as reflex camera.
>Are there so many striking differences between the Nikon Fs and the
>Leicaflex SLs?
>Could we do a comparison?

On Nikon stuff the best starting sites are:

Stephen Gandy's site at: http://www.cameraquest.com/

and Walter Pietsch's site at:
http://www.zaiko.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~walter/walter.html

I use Fs and F2s alongside M Leicas on the principle of horses for courses.
They're heavy and clunky, but very good value for money these days. They
also produce great photographs.

I've no experience of the Leicaflex SL, but no doubt you'll be enlightened
by others in the LUG. My initial observation is that the F and F2 were
designed first and foremost as pro system cameras, and are therefore built
like tanks. I find the ease of changing finders and screens a great
advantage.

I hope we don't get into another discussion of the merits of Leica vs.
Nikon lenses - there was a long thread on this quite recently.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists