Subject: Re: [Leica] 8x32BA binoculars
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 22:15:26 -0500

At 09:43 PM 12/22/97 -0500, Roy Zartarian, scholar, dog-lover, man of
taste, wrote:
>Do you wear glasses regularly? I do and noticed the blackout problem with
>a pair of the Leica 7xsomething or other.

Well, the 'blacking out' problem is inherent in a roof-prism design.  It
can be minimized but it will always be present to some minor degree in even
the best-designed roof-prism glasses.

I have noticed it least in the very late East German 7x40 EDF BGA's, which
are the finest binoculars I have ever used;  the Docter 10x40 BGA
Asphericals also minimize the problem.

Normally, in binoculars with collapsible eyecups, folding 'em down and
wearing glasses seems to minimize the blacking-out.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!