Subject: [Leica] Leica ads in National Geographic ...
From: "David P. Freedman" <dpfreedman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 22:28:06 -0500

For Christmas, a very dear friend gave me the "Complete National
Geographic" set on 30 CD-ROMs. After installing the enhanced 100
megabyte index (!), I did a search on the word "Leica".  The
super-speedy search engine returned a list of 116 Leica ads from the
late 1920's through 1961 (with a conspicuous 11-year gap between 1938
and 1949). Absolutely fascinating reading ("Leica cameras start at
$60.00 ...").  I particularly enjoyed the ad introducing the M-3 with
dual-range Summicron f2 for $438.  How things have changed.

Aside from the ads, the NG set is a real treasure trove. It contains
scans of every page from 1888 through 1996 (I expect I will have read
every article before the R8 motor is released). The interface is a bit
clunky, control over printing is limited and the text isn't always
legible but the photos look fine and the search engine is excellent. At
$200, not a bad deal.