Subject: [Leica] Best of the season to all!
From: Bill Barrett <barrettb@dialup.websteruniv.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 22:53:40

Dear Leica Friends,

I would like to wish (somewhat belatedly) merry Christmas, chag Hanuokah
sameah, and (at least this is on time) a happy new year to everyone in this
marvelous LUG!

Almost a week later, I'm still in awe of the little miracle that has just
come into my life: our firstborn child, Gavin. He was a bit early, given
the due dates predicted, but I had my M6 & 35 Summilux in the bag ready to
go to the hospital.

As things were being prepared for his birth, the delivering doctor saw my
camera on a table at my side, and asked what it was. (Heresy though it may
be, I have black tape over the logos. Those who know what a Leica is
already know, those who don't, aren't interested. He knew.) "A Leica," I
said. "Oh, an old camera." "Not so old, it's an M6." He then told me he'd
just bought the book Requiem, and we spoke for a moment about the stupidity
of war, just before the wonder of this birth filled the room.

I haven't developed the Tri-X from that next half-hour (waiting for the lab
at school to re-open in a week), but the Fujicolor from the next day looked
great (one-hour lab). And I assure all (no kidding!) that my little boy had
the opportunity to bond with a real camera moments after he arrived!

The official birth announcement is at
http://www3.primary.net/~barrettb/news.htm

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayer!

Bill

Bill Barrett
St. Louis
barrettb@webster.edu (preferred address for personal mail)