Subject: Re: [Leica] Slides
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 10:14:40 -0500

Happy New Year Dale over there in Seattle! :) from Victoria!

Dale wrote:

<<<<Hate to keep bothering you guys and gals.>>>>>>

That's what we're here for and it's not a bother. We all learn Leica things
constantly and you can have almost any question on photography answered.
Primarily we knock heads about Leica, but on occaision we get side tracked.
:)

I know on the Internet there are photo groups who are intune with "general
photography" rather than our "Leica concentrated" conversations, who could
be helpful for many of your questions.

There is a great deal of experince and talent connected to this group and I
see by a couple of your comments:

<<<<   This retired engineer has a lot of catching up to do. >>>>>>>

 "yep, there is a little catching-up to do. :)

<<<<There are female Leica freaks aren't there?  Don't know if I have
noticed any yet but I have only been subscribing to the LUG for a couple
weeks.  In fact I am not aware of any female professional photographers.
Why would that be?  >>>>>>>>

You bet there are lots of very talented lady photographers these days. Many
of them I wouldn't want as competitors as they are very very fine shooters.

One of our group "Tina Manley" at the moment in Greece shooting is an
extremely talented photographer with a great personality to go with it.
There are many who do not belong to the LUG, who are award winning magazine
and commercial photographers, as well some who are world class Leica
photojournalists.

<<<<As I remember it wasn't too long ago that I was using Kodachrome and
before that it was Ektachrome slide films.  In fact I think some of the
intrepid explorers 40 years ago brought Ektachrome color developing kits
down to the ice so they could develop their own photographs.>>>>>>

Kodachrome is still around in several ASA ratings 25-64-200. Ektachrome is
constantly up-dated for quality. They are not Ektachromes of the "intrepid
explorers 40 years ago". One might say, Ektachromes of today are an
entirely different animal.

They come in various ASA 100 up to 1600 and higher, if the processing is
changed. The 100S or 100SW are extremely fine grained with quality that is
better than Kodachrome under some conditions.

As far as do your own at home "Ektachrome Processing kits". I would take a
chance and say that it is "highly unlikely that any member of the Leica
Users Group process their own "chrome E6 film." Maybe, but not likely.

Processing E6 "chrome film", by "chrome" I mean any film manufactured as
"slide film"  ie: Ektachrome -- Fujichrome -- Agfachrome and several others
on the market. Is done so quickly these days by labs that it isn't worth
the time nor expense to fiddle with the home processing.

Besides today, environmental laws are very strict about what chemicals you
dump down the drain and colour processing liquids as I understand are a
no-no!

So if you are going to shoot "slide film" find a processor in Seattle who
also looks after pros as well as amateurs and away you go. It's much easier
than "doing your own" and probably a lot cheaper in the long run.

Hopefully this brings you "up to date" with some of your questions and
don't be surprised if you receive a couple dozen more posts.

ted grant
Victoria, BC Canada