Subject: [Leica] E6 @ home
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:31:10 -0500

Alastair wrote:

<<Ted you are making we feel very quaint. I buy in bulk and E6 process in a
Jobo- I cannot think that I am such a rare bird. Anyone else?>>>>>>

Hi Alastair,

Well so far it seems you & Tom Kachadurian are the only two who have come
back and said they were doing it "home made!:)

Jim Brick did do it at one time due to not having a lab he could trust near
by. That was corrected and I believe he is now lab processing.

It never occured to me to set up a colour lab. I have my B&W darkroom where
I can print 16X20's with no trouble, but I have no desire to even try a
colour set-up at this late stage in life. I mean I can still screw-up B&W
on occaision, :) why would I go whole hog and do in the colour? :)

Fortunately I have 2 great lab companies at hand. A C41/print lab and a
strictly E6 that are excellent. It is my understanding the E6 lab is run at
tighter chemistry tolerances than what Kodak recommend. They've never let
anyone down that I'm aware, absoloutely immpeccable service. If I need film
souped over a weekend or at night they will provide it. Both of them will
do that kind of thing if needed.

I realize lots of folks don't have that kind of service at hand and I count
my blessings that I do. When I was a regular Kodachrome user I was always
in a sweat until the rolls were back.

Having never attempted any serious colour processing, one roll about 40
years ago and that was it! :) I couldn't tell you how it's done other than
I understand somewhat similar to the Kodak B&W reversal kits. Done that a
few times but even it's a pain in the butt with a half dozen jugs of
chemistry and the constant watching the times etc.

So I admire guys like you lads who do your own, I can see advantages, cost
being number 1. But in most of my shooting someone else is paying the bill
so it rarely enters my mind.

It should be interesting to see how many others come out of the wood work
of "home colour processing".

ted