Subject: [Leica] R zoom lens...
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 10:18:28 -0500

TM wrote:

<<<<One of my concerns with the VE f/4 is the maximum aperture of f/4,
especially with a concomitant loss of 2 aperture settings (down to f/8)
with the R-extender>>>>>>

If you are shooting much of your work indoors you'll almost be dead in the
water with that zoom and using a 2X extender. It's bad enough at indoor
events working with the 70-180 2.8 and a 2X. If you expect any success
you'll be into super high speed films. 1600 3200 pushed or other wise.

80-200 is a fine lens for out doors. Indoors on occaision with excellent
lighting conditions and fast film and no extender.

If it were me I wouldn't bother, as all you'll probably do is become
frustrated trying to shoot at 1/8th or 1/15 of a sec and blowing a pile of
film.

Buy another used body and then you wont have to worry about changing
lenses, kep the same film in all three and away you go for whatever
situation you need.

Or buy the 70-180! :) Even then with the 2X on you'll be at 5.6 wide open
and indoors, that can become rather iffffy at times.

ted