Subject: Re: [Leica] R4? R4S?
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 21:39:44 CST

Roy,

 >I recall some discussions about the relative quality of the various R4
>permutations with some consensus that the later version (R4S) was a
 [snip]

The R4 was made from 1980-1986 and the R4-S from 1983-1985.  I think that
you are correct that some of the early R4's had some problems.  I think
that the R4-S was manufactured after the problems were corrected.  There
was a post of the LUG of the serial number after which the correction
apparantly took place.  I have looked for it but can't put my hands on
it.

I have had two R4's and have never had any trouble with them.  The R4-S
only has aperture and manual exposure methods - the R4 those and program
and shutter.  I virtually used only  aperture exposure and would have
been happy with the R4-S.

Dick  Hemingway
Norman, OK