Subject: Re: [Leica] Oil Leaks and British Machinery: OFF-TOPIC
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 04:26:30 EST

Marc, I think there should be a study of the correlation between having owned
British Cars and Bikes and the desire to own Leicas. Could it be that after
long, wet,dark nights on deserted roads, trying to isolate some obscure
problem that prevents us from continuing the trip, we suddenly start
appreciating things that work as they are supposed to work, and does it for a
long time.Hence the desire for M-cameras and german cars ( some german cars!)
or is it  a sign of growing up and acknowleding the fact that leaky tops,
faulty heaters, frequent black outs of lights and truly strange ways of
connecting electrical equipment is only fun when you are young(er) and style
overides substance!
 But how fondly we remember the squelchy sound of sinking in to the drivers
seat of a 1946 MG TC and how cool we looked until we got out of the thing with
soaked clothing. In the early 60's I was driving a white MGA, carrying a
couple of Leica MP's and no top on the car ( interfered with quick shooting).
Does anyone know how cold it gets in Sweden in January! Well, the Leicas
worked fine even then, the car had to be parked facing downhill as the
batteries would drain by themselves in 2-3 hours. Somewhat like the M6's do
occasionally!!!
Tom A