Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie M6 question
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:28:08 +0100

Relax, Your Leica is just fine!
Times between 1/1000 and 1/50 are regulated like this: The first shutter
blind starts to move, and at the required position it releases the second
shutter blind by a release arm. The longer the exposure the greater the
delay between the first blind starting its traverse and the releasing of the
second blind.
The above mechanism is sufficient for the above speeds, but not for 1/30 or
longer:

Shutter speeds from 1/30 to 1 sec are regulated by a retarding mechanism for
slow shutter speeds "Hemmewerk". This is sort of a clockwork with gears and
anchor, that has to run before the second blind is set free to move. By the
momentum of the second blind the Hemmewerk is rewound, and this causes the
special sound after the long times. At 1/30 and 1/15 only a metal part
swings back, and from 1/8 and down you will hear a buzzing sound. These
sounds are very characteristic for the Leica shutter

Take your time and get yourself well acquainted with these sounds. Then you
will be able to hear if a used M-Leica will need a CLA or not. A M-body with
fresh CLA (Cleaning, Lubrication, Adjustment) will sound just like a brand
new M6. If you listen to the shutter sounds when inspecting a used Leica,
the dealer will know that you are an experienced buyer, not to be fooled
around with. I have even listened to these sounds over the phone, and it
works!

These mechanical shutters are made to be used, so in order to keep your
Leica in good shape, I will advice you to exercise every shutter speed a few
times every month, if your camera is unused for long periods. The reason for
this is that the mechanism is lubricated, and oil will tend to get dry in
the long run. If this is the case, I saw a tip on this list a few weeks ago:
warm up the camera a  little by leaving it on top of your TV-set or
satellite box a few hours, exercise the shutter speeds, and eventually the
oil will loosen up. If this does not help, you will have to do a CLA.
For people who have used Leica, these shutter sounds are very familiar. I
think listening to them is one of the best ways to determine the health of
the shutter mechanism.
/Hans

I've stepped in last week, after 15 years of hesitations. Of course, I'm
going through all forms of manipulation of my new toy. And I have 1
specific question I have seen no trace of in all the literature and Usenet
archives: when I trigger the shutter at 1/15th and 1/30th of a sec, I get
an aftermath of small, gradually silencing mechanical "noises" during what
seems like the better of 1 sec. This does not happen between 1/1000 th and
x sync. While from 1/8 down, the mechanism makes the characteristic  motion
work noise of slow speeds.

My question is : is the aftermath "noise" at 1/15 and 1/30  normal ? And
why ?

Thanks beforehand for your clarifications !

Alan
Brussels-Belgium.