Subject: Re: [Leica] minolta XG-M or X...
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:29:08

At 15:26 11/01/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Once I had a R6 and found the body a little bit to heavy...So I unscrewed
>the bottom plate and it felt much better! It loosed about one third of its
>weight. The trouble was that I did not have anything to put instead of that
>bottom plate. I checked a screwed up Minolta XG-M and noticed that it looked
>really similar to the R6. I unscrewed that minolta's bottom plate and was
>somehow suprised that it fitted wonderfully the R6. Even the contacts for
>the winder were OK. Weren't these Leica R built by Minolta?
>Thib.

If I remember rightly the Minolta XG-M was the one where they designed in
an anti-exposure device so that if the camera was about to overexpose or
underexpose the shot due to being at the top or bottom of the cameras
exposure range, it stopped you taking that picture by locking the shutter.
How convenient that woud be for missing altogether the shot of a lifetime!
I was a Minolta XD-7 user at the time, and was somewhat taken aback by this
idiotizing of an otherwise useful camera. It is poetic justice really-
utilising XG-M parts on a Leica body could well be the best use they would
get. IMO. ;-)

Joe Berenbaum