Subject: RE: [Leica] Black Star 60 Years + Leica 75 yrs...
From: "Roy C. Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:46:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, ted grant wrote:

> However, how many of you have "75 Years of Leica Photography." ?

My copy came home with me shortly after publication as the result of the
annual pilgrimage to Stan Tamarkin's place on Grand Avenue in New Haven.
At the time, it was my first "art" type of photography book

> If you want a book to fire you up and just chomping to go out and shoot,
> "like it doesn't matter what, man I just have to get out and do some
> picture taking with my Leica!!!!" kinda feeling. Then get yourself a copy
> of  "75 Years of Leica Photography."
>
> Every photographer in it has only one picture! It's the great equalizer of
> the greats and unknowns with the common bond "they all use Leica!" And
> that's what makes it such a wonderful book for inspiration! It's like my
> picture Bible when I'm feeling down and need a pick me up!

Amen.  It's the kind of book that invites both repeated, contemplative
study with a cup of well-brewed tea or a measure of single malt at hand
and quick perusal for a mental recharge.  My only criticism is that no
brief descriptive statement by either the editor or the photographer
accompanies the images.

A matter of intellectual curiosity for Ted: who selected the pictures for
inclusion?

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart
Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the
keyboard.  Any typos are his fault.