Subject: Re: [Leica] Polarizing Filter w/M6
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 08:57:26 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from mail: 12-Jan-98 [Leica] Leica-Users List Di.. by
Listmgr@mejac.palo-alto.
> For Leicas, it's the fact that a portion of the incoming light is directed
> through a partially silvered mirror (the SLR mirror), for exposure
> determination. The partially silvered mirror (beam splitter) acts as a
> polarizer and will give incorrect exposure readings with a linear polarizer.

Well, I dunno about Leica Rs, but I talked with - gasp! - Nikon about my
old F3, which also uses a part-silvered mirror spot in the metering
system. They assured me that linear polas were fine; and indeed, I seem
to have no trouble using one. So, are there other factors present that
mandate circulars for some cameras but not for others?

Sorry for injecting the N-word here. I do like my IIIf more. Honest.
Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh