Subject: [Leica] Reminder re quoting
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:43:48 -0500 (EST)

    If you're receiving LUG in DIGEST mode, please beware of your
"quote" button (or whatever your mail client has for quoting). A blanket
quote in digest mode will quote the WHOLE digest, NOT just the one post
you're replying/responding to. That's because a digest is in effect a
stringing together of many messages into one long message.
    Yesterday I received a LUG digest that ran to 84,000+ characters,
vis-a-vis the usual 52k or so. Sure enough, it contained the whole of a
previous digest that I had already read. And LUGnuts not on digest will
also be getting said previous digest (containing all those individual
posts which they too have already read.)
    So, always EXCERPT out of a digest the one message (or part thereof)
that you are responding to, and paste that into your reply template.
Taking the time to do that will do much to improve the temper of fellow
LUGnuts.

Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh