Subject: Re: [Leica] Yellow Cast on Flash "shots"
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 98 08:33:50 -0500

Carl Socolow wrote

>Finally, what's wrong with a little warmth in a scene?

My question exactly.  I frequently light things with the main light
unfiltered daylight then put a full CTO (converts daylight to tungsten)
on the background light to get that nice warm inviting feeling in my
shots.  This is shot on chrome, but the color applies to neg work just as
well.

If you must get the color neutral and are shooting color neg do as both
Carl and Eric said and get a full CTO (wratten 85) and put it on the
strobe then let the lab get the color back to neutral.  I would recommend
getting either Roscoe or CMC gels as these are far more durable than
Wrattens and much cheaper also.  CMC has a great site detailing all of
their filters and what they do at:

http://www.cinemills.com/filterindex.html

Of course if you don't mind losing all ambient, Teds suggestion about
jumping the shutter speed to 250 and using higher apertures is the
easiest, simplest, & cheapest solution, as long as you keep within the
limits of your flashes power.

Hope this helps.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto