Subject: [Leica] Top plates
From: Hans Pahlen <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:10:33 -0800

Jun,
I have nothing against people rebuilding their personal cameras. I would
like to change my own chrome M2:s into black, if possible. The paint
jobs done I have seen on pictures looks really great, and as long serial
numbers are not changed, I have nothing against that at all. I would
have it done tomorrow, if I knew somebody who could do it for me.

But I could do another thing:
Assuming I replaced the top plate on my black M4, with the same serial
number, then changed the leather, and put fresh paint on the back and
different levers, then I would have a M4 looking brand new. Suppose I
wanted to sell it, imagine the huge amount I would get, compared to
selling it with my old scratched top plate.
I guess I would be tempted to do it, as I could buy two new M6 .85 for
the money...
I only need to get in contact with the people who make these top plates,
and this is not easy, as I guess they want to run their business for
themselves.

As a user, I am not so upset about all this. I guess I would have more
worries if I had large amounts invested in black M-bodies, as a
collector.
/Hans