Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron-M 50mm or Summilux-M 50mm?
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:58:23 -0500

>I am afraid I am going to ask a rather difficult question.
>
>What are the relative merits of the Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 and the
>Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 for the M6. Tests are not always quite clear on the
>issue, although I get the impression that the Summicron often receives
>better test results than the Summilux.
>
>Does anyone have experience with both lenses? Which lens should be
>preferred in terms of highest overall optical quality?

As Erwin Puts has wisely pointed out in a previous post, the Summicron is
probably the more perfect lens, but in the low-light conditions in which
I appreciate using the Summilux, the difference is likely unnoticable.

I purchased a late-version Summilux a month ago and have been thoroughly
pleased with its performance.  The extra stop over the Summicron is
useful if you're using the camera for low-light work, and I was not able
to detect any significant loss of contrast at f/1.4.  Flare was very well
suppressed at larger apertures, as well.  Using the lens at f/1.4 gives a
marvellous isolation of the subject due to shallow depth of field.  The
out-of-focus portions of the frame appear very smooth and appealing, in
addition.

The Summilux has admirable low-light ability while maintaining a
reasonably small size and weight.  If you don't need the extra stop, by
all means save the money and the weight and go for the Summicron.  If you
need an f/1.4 lens, then I'm sure that you will be more than pleased.