Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters, again, very long.
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:10:10 -0500

Jim;
Having worked in several camera stores, I can tell you the justification for
the filter. PROFIT.
Most of the sales people lament that if you sell a camera, the amount of
commission is determined by theprofit margin. The margin for cameras is very
small in the competative market; the margin on a Nikon F3 body( I looked it
up!), is about 30 dollars, and the salesmen here get 20% of the margin as a
commission- about 6 bucks!
If they sell the customer a battery, filter, case and cleaning outfit, their
commission more than quadruples! It's regretable, but most salesmen hate to
lose the profit of a filter sale and come up with gloom and doom stories of
how they protect the lens. Unfortunately, you are right- an impact severe
enough to damage the solidly built lens will usually do in the body as well!
Besides, glass is inherently UV protective; Zeiss made very expensive lenses
with quartz elements for UV photography simply because glass blocks most UV
radiation.
Dan'l