Subject: Re: [Leica] slightly off topic
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:50:00 +0100

Paul, congratulations to the 25th wedding anniversary! (I have still 4 years
to go...)
You have already got some good advice, so I will keep mine short. My main
interest on trips is people and cities. Standard equipment is 2-3 M:s, plus
21-35-50-90. This camera bag is brought as hand luggage on the plane. In my
suitcase, I will bring yet another smaller photobag, that takes 2 bodies
with lenses attached.
If I am going to do lots of walking, I will bring only the smallest bag, and
leave the rest of the equipment at the hotel. (35 and 50 are my most used
lenses). Two photobags give lots of flexibility, and a chance to rest a
tired shoulder now and then. If I find something in need of another lens, I
can usually come back another day and get that picture, if I still want to.
Some days I will bring only one M with 35 mm lens, and no photobag at all.
B/W film and maybe another lens in the pocket. Those days I will rely on my
wife for the slide photography. (Why not give your wife a Leica P/S or other
high end P/S as present, my wife really appreciated that, and likes to use
it too).

I will only bring my SLR:s on trips when I know I will need long lenses or
macro. They are a pain to carry around, so I will usually leave them and
tripod in the trunk of my car, until needed.

But now we are talking about vacation, and we don't want to come back to the
hotel totally exhausted from carrying too much equipment, do we? I have
tried SLR + 35-70 zoom lens too, but the slow lens speed will be setting
it's limits. That is why I would bring M-equipment. They are fun to use too!
Good luck, Hans