Subject: Re: [Leica] M RF Baselengths
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 22:26:00 +0100

>Erwin Puts wrote:
>
>> I noted in an earlier post that ALL M types share the same physical
>> length
>> of 69,25. Many persons give different figures for the physical
>> baselength
>> of several M models (68,5 etc). These figures are not correct.
>> Erwin
>
>Well Erwin, Leitz disagrees with you in numerous publications.
>
>For instance, the M5 brochure in my hands with a code of "110-87c/Engl"
>clearly states on page 7
>
>"68.5 long-base rangefinder"
>
>How do you account for this?
>
>Stephen Gandyu

'Numerous' ? You are citing one brochure. And to be very frank: Leica
brochures are written by copywriters and marketing people. In many
discussions I had with Leica people who really know their turf, they would
distance themselves from the info in the brochures.
I am inclined not to take the text in marketing leaflets as proof for
whatever statement. Maybe we should ask Mr Starr to start in investigation
into Leica-gate!

Erwin