Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 10:28:18 -0800

It does make you wonder if the Contax G2 will fill this gap.  Imagine a
RF camera, fairly (to be honest) quiet, motor drive (4 fps), good enough
meter for neg film, takes Contax top of line smart flashes with dial
down compensation, rear curtain sync and wonderful lenses.  And priced
low enough that you can have multiple bodies and lenses and still eat.

donal

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

> Ted:
>
> Because of recent developments in film quality, 35mm is quickly becoming
> the format of choice for wedding photographers. Leica Ms could own that
> market if they had a flash sync at 250th and even a slow motor. I hate to
> rain on the Leica parade, but any company will take a new market.
>
> Tom
>
> At 06:20 PM 2/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
> ><<<I understand that one of the new M's Leica has been considering is a
> >Leica ME with an electronic shutter.>>>>>
> >
> >Tom,
> >
> >Why would they even consider it? It ain't broke so don't mess with it!
> >
> >I can't imagine why they'd waste R&D money on something that if it doesn't
> >have any power it just sits there like a rock.
> >
> ><<<<An electronic shutter would change that.  On the other hand, an
> >electronic shutter would be much more accurate and would have a higher
> >maximum speed and a higher synch speed.>>>>>>
> >
> >Well how much more accurate do you want the M6? 100% of the owners can
> >shoot very accurate images properly exposed the way it is. I wouldn't want
> >to jeopardize the camera operating just for 1/1000 of a nano second more
> >precise exposure! That the eye could hardly recognize.
> >
> >And the number of people who use an M6 and flash must be very nearly
> >infinitesimal. It's almost heresy to use flash with the thing!  I know some
> > folks do, but to change the shutter to "battery driven" for a handful of
> >flash enthusiasts is ridiculous.
> >
> ><<<I would suppose that there will always be a need and desire for an M
> >with a mechanical shutter. Perhaps there would also be room for an ME
> >also.>>>>>
> >
> >I don't have shares in Leica nor do I have any influence on what they do.
> >However, there are more pressing things they could be looking at rather
> >than trying to fix a camera that isn't broken.
> >
> >Besides, why try to be all things to every picture taker?  Certainly when
> >you're a class act!
> >
> >ted

- --
Donal Philby