Subject: Re: [Leica] Replacement R35mm f2 flawed as well!
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 21:29:39 -0800

MyersPete@aol.com wrote:

>  I am sitting here in shock. After a month+, my replacement lens
> arrived today.

snip

> Sadly, when inspecting the replacement lens while installing it, I
> discovered
> that the rear element had a pin sized, but clearly seen spot on it.

> snip

> I would appreciate comments on the subject. Perhaps I am just
> extremely
> unlucky! What do you think?

Pete, though the glass is still great,  the quality control simply isn't
there any more the way it should be due to the Solms bean counters
overseeing quality control.

I am told by a larger Leica dealer that it is not all that unusual for
new Leica lenses to have flaws directly from the factory.   The smarter
larger dealers buy in volume and inspect the lenses before they are
shown to a customer.  Problems are sent back or repaired  immediately,
before the customer knows.

If your dealer isn't buying in quantity, I suggest switching to one who
is.  Get a refund and find a dealer who has several in stock to choose
from.  Your problem could be over within 72 hrs.

As I said yesterday in a post you disagreed with at the time, photogs
are making a mistake if they demand less than the best from Leica.
Don't let them make you wait for or a month or more for a replacement.

You bought a quality product and you paid a quality price for it.

Demand what you paid for and don't settle for anything less in either
products or service!

Stephen Gandy